Friday, June 5, 2009

A Story

Raindrops

By: Catherine Andres

(November 22, 2008)

I want to see you on summer days I do not want you to see me though

I want to wander the hotness of the Season With just the nostalgia And not with anybody, I know.

No one will find me in the place I will go The breeze from the fields will Soothe my soul.

I will run amongst beds of clouds And think of you. From up there I will watch you from time to time. And I am glad you will never know.

I will run home with the rain I hope you will not notice How fast I fell and how cold I am.

Leaves will fall into my eyes And cover them However, I will still see you My eyes will never fail to see you. Trees might look dead But I have never been.

I sat down in the whiteness and see The coldness of my heart I will not say a word I will sit here forever.

I was covered still My mind can be found under the snow hill. I saw the sun It was up again Everything has life Except me. Children run around Busy making flower crowns That I also used to make For someone you used to be.

I tried to catch a dragonfly But I fell to the ground The children laugh at me While I was watching them play.

Unlike seasons, you can never happen again Never again in my whole life

So long to my friend, Summer Thanks for the snow, Winter

Goodnight my dear, Autumn Take care, my Spring. Goodbye to a self I used to know.


Chapter One

The Comeback

This is where it starts…

All I can see above is the sky with her friends and I feel so glad for her. I look around and I am impressed. I am impressed with the world’s beauty. Yes, everything in it. Again, I look around. There are many people here today. On my left, is a young father and his beautiful son. He is teaching him how to ride a bike. I remember someone. I felt so envious of the child. Why? No one has “risk” his patience with me. However, I tried to teach myself but nothing came out. Now I have grown old not knowing how to. I regret it. Why? Again? Well, I asked you many questions, I am sure you do not know the answer. This time I will not answer my own question.

Then another gaze. I saw a familiar face, I think. He drives his car around this park. He moves slowly. This park is my home. I s he here to find me? Or to ask me question s I do not know the answers. To tell you honestly, my world stopped just seeing him. I followed his every turn…One…Two…Four…

And I didn’t realize it. Yes, I missed it.

Chapter Two

His Birthday

Setting: Cathy’s House- The Gate

Act One, Scene One

“Let’s get these teen hearts beating faster, faster…,” he sang in a shouting manner. It is summer. It’s his season. The weather is good, really good! And he goes biking most of the time. What the news said was true; the sun is on its all out performance today. However, he never cared about it. After some houses, old trees and empty lots, he’s finally here. In front of his favorite house.

“Cathy, get out! Heeeeeyyyy!” He yelled. He looks up to the window of his friend’s room. No face of Cathy. He guessed Cathy is asleep. She is the ultimate sleepyhead and he cannot change that, somehow he knew.

Again, he yelled. This time desperately harder. Still, no Cathy.

Suddenly, a pair of soft and small hands covered his eyes.

“Who am I?” she said.

“Cathy, what are you thinking?” he said with annoyance.

(His eyes still covered with Cathy’s hands)

“Do I have to answer that? Honestly?” she said while giggling.

“I am thinking of throwing you from the bridge down to the river….” She said softly. It is almost a whisper. Then she laughed aloud and let go of him.

“Come with me.”

“Where?”

“Somewhere you have never been?”

“And where is that?”

He hurriedly rode his bike.

“What? Aren’t you coming?”

“What do you think?”

“When will you ride your own bike?” he said.

“When will you teach me?” she said smiling.

“You already know how to bike! It is just that you are lazy to pedal and you want me to be the only one having sweat.”

Is that an ultimatum? She said in her mind.

“I am getting excited! Come on! Let us go…,” she said.

“Yeah right, you always know the best excuse.” He said grinning.

Chapter 3

Setting: A Riverbank with some High Grass

Act Two, Scene One

They usually do this during summer days. They go around the village, just enjoying time. Aside from it is school break, it is very convenient to have their escapades on a hot weather with the breeze all over their faces and skins. Although, Cathy rides with him in his bike most of the times, actually at all times, she never hugged his waist. She is busy closing her eyes and feeling the winds and smelling the seasons scent. Sometimes, he gets scared that Cathy might fall off. It is his birthday today. And he knows that Cathy knows it. No one will patiently celebrate it with him, only Cathy.

“We are here.” He puts down a small woven basket. Actually, it only has two apples, some cookies and a bottle of chocolate inside.

“You said you’ll bring me somewhere I’ve never been? But you know we always celebrate your birthday here, every year.”

“Tell that to me later, when we are done.”

“Done doing what?” she asked.

He did not answer back.

He brings out his kites. Yes, kites. It is simple. Both are plain white. It is both blank. He never mentioned to Cathy that he was working on these kites for the past few days.

He has been open to Cathy; she is not his only friend though. He has his peers in school and Cathy has her own too. They have been friends ever since Cathy’s family moved in into one of the mansions of the village. Cathy is funny and bubbly for a girl her age. She is already fifteen and sooner she will turn into a woman. Honestly, he does not want that to happen. He is not yet ready to lose her. Her deafening laughs on his silly jokes, her hands covering his eyes, baby talking while calling his name, her times with him. He is not ready to let go of that when that day comes. He thinks he will never will.

“What is that for? For your birthday wishes? You said you never believe in wishes?” she asked contagiously.

“That is not for my wishes. As I have told you before I don’t believe in wishes. Come, sit with me here, let us eat.” He called.

Chapter Four

The Key

Act Two, Scene Two

They are eating apples. It is they’re favorite fruit; actually, it’s Cathy’s.

“Hey Cliff, come closer to me. Here.” Her hand resting on the grass they’re seating on.

“And why?” he asked.

“Do not ask anymore. Just come here.”

He followed. He can smell the citrus scent of Cathy’s perfume and he likes it. No he loves it. Their nearness a certain thrill on his body. He does not know if Cathy feels the same way. It does not matter anyway.

“I brought you something.”

It looks like a letter. It is not in an envelope. It is paper folded in thrice. There is something written. And here it goes…

April 1, 2004

Study Table

10:31 pm

My Silent Star

We go here on summer days

Just to linger around each other

You and I hide on hays

Until the sun gives us fevers.

You call my name with fondness

Fondness I never saw with the world

My only treasure is this closeness

Although we are never heard.

This is the only thing I can give you

I owe to you, who I am

I am not asking you to owe it to me too

I love who I am.

Do not part from me, okay?

Surely, I know you will not

I am still hoping anyway

That it is you that I’ll always have.

p.s.

Keep this, okay? You are very lucky that I wrote this for you, for someday my works would be recognized. You are the first person whom I wrote a poem for in his birthday. Realize how lucky you are?

Cathy is fond in writing poems. However, this is the first time that she made a poem for him. Usually, when his birthday comes, she gives him bookmarks and letters she made herself. It is just now that he realizes that Cathy has been doing this for seven years. Honestly, he keeps all her gifts in a wooden box. It’s his treasure chest, Cathy is her treasure.

“Hey, what can you say about it?” Cathy looks like she is waiting for a price like a studious child waiting for his in exchange of his high grades. However, he will no take the bait.

“Ahmmm…What do you want for an answer? An honest one? It is pretty simple , I mean ordinary.” He said not looking at her.

She does not speak. He guesses he hit something there. And he hate it when he does. It is just like hitting himself.

“But you’ll keep it? Right?” she said with her puppy eyes.

“Of course, I have no choice.” He said rigidly.

He does not want to show Cathy how he really feels for he fears that if God above will find out about it, He’ll take her away for Him to test his faith. And he does not want that to happen. He is afraid, yes.

He thought that he made her sad by criticizing her poem for him, but he was wrong. Cathy runs around; and the last thing he knew she pushes him to his bike where the kites are hung.

“Let it fly! Move quickly! Run! Run!” she said commandingly.

“Woah, woah…Stop pushing me. We’ll get there. First there is something we have to do.” He explained.

“What is it? The kites?”

“I told you earlier that I will bring somewhere you’ve never been, right? And now we are going there.” He said.

“How?” she said with a color of wonder in his eyes.

“By these kites.” He smiled.

“Then what do you call that place?” she asked with a grin.

Cathy raise the first kite while Cliff runs fast, the wind plays its part. One down. Then the second one. They are both flying the kites now, one for Cathy and the other for Cliff.

“We are now in the gates of my haven. Actually, I have never been inside of my haven.” He said still looking at his kite.

“Why?” She asks sounding so curious.

“I never have the key.” He answered.

“Then how can we get in?” she asks again.

“Whatever I’ll do, do not let go of the kite okay?” he commanded.

“Okay.” She gazes at him for a second then her eyes were both on her kite again.

“Promise?” he asks while looking at his kite too.

“Promise.”

“Catherine, you have the key.” He said.

Cathy turns her head to Cliff welcoming his face to her face.

The key to his haven is Catherine’s first kiss.

His hands are around her tiny waist. They talk in between their kisses.

(Collide by Howie Day: on the background)

“Don’t let go of the kite. My haven, your haven is up there. The kites are the gates.”

He said trying to catch his breath.

It’s already dark, Cathy has to go home. Now, they’re on their way back to Cathy’s house. They do not talk after the kiss. They are both silent. On the way, he feels that Cathy is wrapping her arms around him and she laid her head on his back. He smiles.

“Mark this day, Cliff; this is the best day you’ll ever have…”

Chapter Five

Chasing Memories

(Park, Near a Campus)

Character walking away from Park and People

It’s getting dark. I have to leave the park. I have things to do back in my apartment. I have to write on my diary. Honestly, I hate writing this diary for some reasons I am not ready to tell you yet.

I am inside the apartment. It is quite small but enough for someone like me. I do not open the lights when I come from the park. I do not feel comfort here because it is not a home; it is a plain structure for me. I do not eat much. I go to my bedroom and write my diary. Then continue writing a story about someone I used to know. If my eyes fall then I sleep that time.

It’s been five years since I graduated from the university and I know I am not getting any younger.

I’ve spent most of my time at the park. Pondering thoughts, gathering ideas. The park is near the university where I teach so it’s pretty convenient. Yes, I teach people. I teach people to act, write and talk. I do not know how I get to do that with all of these worries and fears in my life.

Monday, May 18, 1989

7: 09 pm

Earlier at the park, I made a mistake again. I’ve mistaken a hundred of cars for his car already. I always think that he is back. Honestly, I do not know where he is now.

I missed seeing him on summer days like today. Whenever I miss him, I look up at the sky because he might be up there watching me.

“Summer has gone. Autumn came and I was never prepared for it. And now the winter’s doing me no good at all. I am soaking in the coldness of my heart.”

I walked and walked ‘till I reach my doorstep. I do not want to tell you what I do when I walk. It’s just complete thinking and it’s just to complicated to explain those thoughts. Anyway, I am here, I am always afraid to come in. I am afraid that I might freeze because of frigidness inside these four corners. But I told myself, “Hey, you are lucky, you are alive.” Yeah right, I am.

I have been living alone for five years now. I have decided to move out from my parents’ house when they died. It is not that I do not want to remember their memories; it is just that I do not want to start grieving. I do not want to think of the things happened, how they died, how they are killed. Yes, I am afraid of drowning on those thoughts. I am afraid of thinking how and why I am alone now.

I got inside my apartment unit. It was the same. Of course, it was the same, I live alone. It was dark. I do not turn on lights. That’s a trivia. I have to finish this script I am writing, it’s due. I have to come up with story or else…Or else what? I am trying to survive.

“So Miss Blanche, this is your script? It is quite deep but simple. Is that all you got for the film showing this year? A love story? I am not so sure about your work right now. I like the concept but you know it is so simple. Work on the scene, make it scenes. Revise it. Then come back next week, the film showing is moved next month.” said Red. He is obviously my boss. He is honest with me and also a good friend of mine. Actually, I am pretty confused with his comments, is my work what?

No comments:

Post a Comment